Not this time

Sorry I’ve been off the radar for a while. After the USA Pro-Cycling Championships I shot straight over to Winston Salem NC to work on a video project for Wake Forest University and I’ve been working on that pretty much non-stop.

The second day of the Cycling Championships was the 110 mile road race and it was amazing. Here are a few photos from the event.



Hand Cyclists! One guy had just returned from Iraq only 8 months ago. Lost both of his legs and already out competing.

Hand Cyclists! One guy had just returned from Iraq only 8 months ago. Lost both of his legs and already out competing.


IMG_0095IMG_0090Picture 1This photo was taken by a local 15 year old photographer!

As was this one.

As was this one.

You can check out his website by going here Gabrielle Grace Photography

I haven’t even had a chance yet to look at the footage that I shot. These guys were just flying down the road. To stand on the side of the road and feel the draft of over 100 cyclists flying by at over 25mph was just incredible. It felt like you were going to be sucked in. I believe the average speed for the day was 26mph! Awesome.

Dave Z, who won the Time Trial Championships the day prior, took out an early lead, but he was eventually gobbled up by the peloton. The course was a circuit which included a few laps around the city which was really cool because we got to see more of the riders going by. The finish was phenomenal and in the end Greenville hometown boy George Hincappie brought home the victory! The crowd went nuts when he crossed the line. I was busy running around everywhere with three different cameras and bags trying to get the best possible shots. I tried to get my self into a high position for the finish line and climbed up on a ledge on a bridge. The drop off was about 50 feet so I clung on to a light pole with my left hand and held the camera in my right. A little precarious. I had sweat burning out my eyes the whole time so I’m really not sure what I got. I’m going to try to take a look tonight and start cutting some together to post on here, as well as on the blog on the Credit Union site.

It was successful outing for the CU crew. We talked to a lot of people and I would say the we filled out around 100 surveys. Considering that this was a cycling event, and our booth had nothing to do with Cycling, we generated a fair amount of interest.


My buddy Sebastian showed up again. We were both like giddy school girls. It was just an awesome event. Sebastian won a Bissel Vacuum! Bissel is a team sponsor and they had this competition to see who could generate enough “sucking power”  from riding a stationary bike. He killed it. No one unseated him, and as a reward he got himself a shiny new vacuum. Unfortunately I don’t have any footage, but he looked like he was going to vomit afterwards.

So like I said, I’ve been going nonstop on this Wake Forest project all week. We were in Winston shooting on Monday and Tuesday. We got back to Charleston a little after Midnight on Tuesday. I woke up at 7 on Wednesday to start editing and didn’t leave my room until 6pm Friday night. They had a really tight deadline for the finished product and it was just the only way to get it done. Fortunately my partner in crime, Sarah Jones, helped expedite the process, but it was still a long time to be sitting in front a computer screen.


Mac-world. In this photo are the following mac products. Imac, Macbook, Macbook pro, Powerbook G4, Iphone, 2 Ipod nanos. There are also 4 external harddrives. At times I think I have too much technology.

I was going out of my mind by Friday night. When I finally reached the finish line I threw my arms up in the air, in celebration. I was ready to lace up my shoes and head out for a nice long run, but it had suddenly struck me that the only thing I had had to eat all day was a granola bar, and I was fiercely hungry. I reached for my cell phone and ordered up a massive Japanese dinner. When I picked up my order I felt like I could do curls with the bag. My kind of meal. By the time I fueled up it was about 7:00. I was really itching to throw on my shoes and get out the door but I thought I should wait at least an hour to let some digestion take place.

I tried my best to pass the time by reading, but I found my self getting more and more ancy and I just couldn’t wait anymore. I had to get out of my cave. I decided that I would just take things slowly at first and gradually ease into the run. I walked out the door at 7:30. It was nice cool night with a light breeze, a rarity it Charleston. I kept my pace relatively low. I felt a little heavy going down the road, but not terrible. As I clicked off the miles I picked up my pace. I still felt a bit weighty but kept plodding forward. It was around mile 9 when this sudden feeling of queasiness came over me. It happened almost instantly. Then my legs started to feel heavier, my sides started cramping, but I though I would just try to work through it. Bad idea. It got worse and I knew what was coming. My stomach was churning and my sides were killing me. I pulled off to the side of the road and before I even came to a stop I started vomiting everywhere. It was super gross, and super painful. After expelling the last of my dinner, I took a deep breath and noticed that I felt better, refreshed even. I took a couple swigs of my water/gatorade mixture to wash out the taste and started moving down the road again. Thought I felt better, I didn’t want to push it. I walked to the nearest gas station and got a bottle of water. I’m sure I was quite the site. I started doing a little run walking and eventually worked back up to a moderate jog but then came to another realization, now I was running on empty. My stomach had calmed down some at this point so I decided to try to eat something. I had a cliff bar with me so I started nibbling on that. Taking little bites at a time, I slowly trotted towards home. At mile 4 I started feeling ill again. I ended up slowly walking the rest of the way home. Kind of a rough night.

Lately I’ve been feeling drained and far more fatigued than I should. This is a clear sign of over training. I’ve also noticed that I’m starting to have trouble with my right ankle and knee. I’ve been trying desperately to get my self ready for this 50k in TN but I realize that if I continue on this trend that I’m going to risk an injury that could sideline me for months. I’ve had it happen before and I’m determined not to let it happen again. I’m making some adjustments to my training as well as my diet. I’m definitely at the point where I have to start eating better. Mind you I’m not eating snicker bars and elephant ears, but I could certainly be doing better. And instead of trying to get my self ready to run 32 miles, I’m going to scale back. I’m going back to my normal training, gradually building up my endurance levels again, and come race day I’ll see how I feel. If I hit the trail and feel like I can only do the 11 miler without really hurting myself, than that’s what I’ll do. And if I feel like I’ve got another 21 miles in me, than that’s what I’ll do.

Now I’m doing to go watch the US Open. How about Oudin! 17 and kicking ass.

US Open Tennis


~ by glennikin on September 6, 2009.

One Response to “Not this time”

  1. Inspiration, my man.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: